Taxi service in Prague: prices, advices and information
With a taxi in Prague, everything can be difficult, as the main tourist areas occupied by the "taxi mafia", which will call you the price is many times more honest and refuse to take you. If you will be shown some printed rates — with a huge probability you will try to cheat. Always say the final price and do not get into illegal taxis or taxis without meters (or those that do not include a meter)! Try to use the services of licensed taxi parks or book a taxi through the application Liftago (local taxi service) or Uber.
How much does a taxi cost in Prague?
A regular taxi costs 40 CZK (6 dollars) and 25 CZK (1 dollar) per kilometer.
Uber is much cheaper:
- UberPop – 25 Czech Koruna per serve, 10 CZK per kilometer, 3 CZK per minute.
- UberSelect – 30 Czech Koruna per serve, 13 CZK per kilometer, 4.5 CZK per minute.
A trip of 5.5 km and 10-12 minutes (from the metro Palmovka to the Main station, for example) will cost ~ 115 Czech Koruna (5 dollars).
An alternative to Uber is the Liftago app.
Taxi from Prague airport can be ordered online, the driver will meet with a sign and will take you at a fixed rate at any time of the day or night. You do not have to look for an exchanger or ATM — transfer payment is made when ordering.
How much does Parking, petrol and car rental cost in Prague?
There are three Parking areas in the city center:
- in the orange zone Parking is allowed for 2 hours (from 8: 00 to 18: 00). Price-40 CZK (1,7 dollars) per hour.
- in the green area you can Park your car for 6 hours (from 8: 00 to 18: 00). An hour will cost 30 Czech Koruna (1,3 dollars), and all 6 hours – 120 Czech Koruna (5,2 dollars).
- the blue zone is only for local residents and official transport.
The average price of gasoline in the Czech Republic is 32 Czech Koruna (1,4 dollars). You can check the current prices on the website globalpetrolprices.com.
How to hire a car in Prague
If you are going to rent a car, be sure to go through the prices in several large online aggregators. For Czech Republic we recommend:
- Rentalcars is one of the world's largest aggregators of rental offices. He withdraws money immediately and in case of cancellation returns back. RentalCars usually gives free additional options like second driver or unlimited mileage.
- AutoEurope is a major European aggregator. Does not charge any additional fee for cancellation or change of booking 48 hours before the start of the rental.
- MyRentaCar is an aggregator that cooperates with local rental companies in the countries of presence. Thanks to this has a very good service.
If you rent a car in advance, the car class Economy (type Opel Corsa) will cost from $ 13 per day. It will be mechanics with incomplete insurance.
Cheap transport in Prague
Prague is easy to get around thanks to a well-developed and understandable public transport system.
There are more types of public transport in Prague than you can imagine: tram, bus, metro, funicular, ferry. Trams run through the city center, bus routes pass through more remote areas. The Prague metro provides quick access to different parts of the city.